Emergency Housing for Single Mothers

by Marcelina Hardy

in Housing for Single Mothers

When you’re about to lose your current home, it can be difficult to focus on what is most important – finding a new home for you and your child. Emergency housing for single mothers can be difficult to find because there aren’t as many options that are safe and appropriate for children.

Luckily, with the Internet, you can find the emergency housing you need as you transition from your current home to your future one.

Organizations Offering Safe and Healthy Emergency Shelters

Many non-profit organizations provide shelters to single mothers. Acceptance into these shelters only takes a phone call. Some of them will come to your current place of residence to pick you and your child up, while others allow you to drive yourself.

It depends on whether or not they also house domestic violence victims. Usually, single mothers who are trying to leave their abusive husbands want an undisclosed location, and picking mothers up is the only way to get them to the place without a safety risk.

To find available emergency shelters in your area, contact the following organizations:

  • Catholic Charities
  • Society of St. Vincent DePaul
  • Salvation Army

Government Assistance for Temporary Shelter

The Department of Human Services provides many options for emergency or temporary shelter.

Overnight shelters – If you need a place to sleep at night, you can utilize the overnight shelters. They only allow people to stay for 12 hours, but you are able to come back each night. These shelters also provide meals and support services. When calling the Department of Human Services, ask about overnight shelters only for women or women and children.

Transitional shelters – Transitional shelters such as a house, apartment or other dwelling are available. Residents can stay for up to two years and meals are provided. During the stay, residents must work towards securing permanent housing with the support services offered.

Voucher shelter – If living with others concerns you, ask about the hotels and motels voucher program. This program will provide you a free room for as many nights as the overnight shelter is full or unavailable.

To find the Department of Human Services in your area, visit their website.

Other Housing Options

During your time at emergency shelters, you’ll need to seek permanent housing that you can afford. Consider seeking assistance through the CoAbode network. This organization matches up single mothers with one another to live together. This way, they are able to reduce the cost of rent and utilities, and be a support to one another.

If you need financial assistance to get into a new home, you can apply for the government funds through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. To find out how to apply for this or learn more about your housing options in a housing emergency, call 211.

Stay Strong and in Control

Emergencies happen, but that doesn’t mean you can’t overcome them. There are many resources for you as a single mother to get back on your feet. With help from temporary shelters, you can get back into control.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Jessica aguiar October 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hi my name is Jessica Aguiar am a single mom with 3 boys I been struggling with my kids I been looking for a job I haven’t had no luck I been going home to home with my boys I am scared to loose my kids my kids are real unhappy I want them to have a home they could come to if u could plz help us

tanita washington October 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm

hello i need help of paying my hotel fee, i been there jan 9, 2013. and i have a car note 398.00 every to weeks, as well, an i have to pay them 259.05 every week, don’t get me wrong, an also i pay for food, stay in over draft in my banking account, really don’t no what to do…. caould somebody please help me…. always have to borrow money from people just last my life in public storage….. what i have is in the hotel….

Samantha October 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Getting evicted.Have no family,friends to help.Cant sleep in car that I’m about to lose with my son.Need help getting on my feet.Left a 17year abusive relationship don’t want to go back.Please help my son and I

Elizabeth October 30, 2013 at 12:25 am

I have 2 children and ive been applying for work and nothing yet. My kids are struggling with our living situation like myself.. Jumping from house to house.. I really just need help till i find a good job if you can please help us..

Monique morales October 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hi my name is monique I have 2 kids girl and boy im currently being kick out and I need somewhere to stay I need help finding a job and presude something for my kids please help me

SAD WOMAN November 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm


SAD WOMAN November 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm


Rough Time In My Life December 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I just received a 5 day notice to eviction from my land lord today. I am only 5 days late on my rent for this month. I have been off from work due to my health. I have a 13 year old son. I have no family or friends that can help. Can someone please let me know of a shelter or where I can go for help. I tried calling a list of agencies for rental assistance, but everyone is out of funding. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions thank you and God bless.

A single mother going through a rough time in my life

sadmom December 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

I’m in the worst time of my life, I’m originally from ontario and moved to Alberta with a boyfriend we had a baby and we split after he turned a year old, I moved back to ontario with my son. My ex got false information from a family member and went to the courts and lied, didn’t even serve me with court papers, so they granted him a court order to send our son back to alberta. So we came back and I decided to stay so my son could have his father. We dropped court. Ever since then he never gave me a dime for my son, told me I had to give him the child tax benefit. So I tried to get on welfare and they decided my application for emergency funds. So now I’m going to be homeless and forced to give up my son and move back to Ontario without my son. Because my ex would rather have him and party around him and never really be there. Please I’m begging for your help this entire situation has been a nightmare and I don’t know what is going to happen to me if I have to give up my son. Please help me. If I’m not around I’m terrified of what kind of man he’s going to become. Please I’m so afraid for my little boy.

Nancy Wilson December 23, 2013 at 1:43 am

I’m a single mother of three we live work my parents but my mother is verbally and mentally abusive. I don’t drive and have no income I just need a little help. Please.

melissa torres December 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

hi my name is melissa n i am a mother of four. Been struggling on my own n had to leave our home because my landlord didnt want to fix anythin n had l&i issues. Been staying with a family member since dec 12th n been told i need to hurry and find a place of my own. Tired of my children n i beeing treated like we dont belong. Please help me if possible.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: