Grants for Single Mothers to Buy a Home

by Donnetta

in Grants for Single Mothers

Being a single mother is not an easy job, especially with the current state of the economy.

Employment is difficult to find, rent is expensive, and most single mothers are unaware of the assistance they may qualify for through housing grants for single mothers.

To help solve this problem, we’ve put together a list of housing grants available to qualifying single moms.

HUD Housing Grants

housing grants


The US Department of Housing and Urban Development, also known as HUD, provides single mothers and low income families with access to a variety of housing grants.

If you are having some financial difficulties and are unable to afford your rent or mortgage, consider the following grants offered through HUD. Additional and updated information on each of these grants can be found at

  • HOME Investment Partnership Program – The HOME Investment Partnership Program is a federal grant offered through HUD to the states and local governments within the United States. This program allows communities to purchase land and build or rehabilitate housing that can be rented or purchased by low income individuals and families. Each jurisdiction must match 25 cents for each dollar contributed to the program in order to use it. These grants can also be used for rental assistance, loan guarantees, direct loans, credit enhancement, grants, or even assistance with rental security deposits.
  • American Dream Down Payment Initiative – On December 16, 2003, the federal government signed the American Dream Down Payment Initiative (ADDI) into law, providing about $200 million dollars worth of funds to all 50 states. It was designed to help single mothers and low income families cover the costs that stop many individuals from purchasing their first homes: closing costs and down payments. Eligible individuals must be first-time homebuyers and have an income less than 80% of the average for their area. Up to six percent of the cost of the home can be obtained, or $10,000, depending on which is greater. Rehabilitation funds may also be obtained from this housing grant to help with repairing home health hazards, such as removing lead paint.
  • PHA Housing Grants – PHA housing grants are available to single mothers through the Housing Choice Vouchers Program. This program allows low income families to rent or purchase safe and decent housing in their area. Vouchers are provided to the families who qualify and the public housing agency (PHA) in your area pays a portion, or all, of the rent or mortgage you owe each month. Any difference in the amount of rent or mortgage paid by the PHA and the total rent must be paid by you. Eligible individuals must have an income less than 50% of the average income in their area. Families who have an income of less than 30% of the average income for their area make up 75% of the housing vouchers given out. Although there are certain requirements for eligibility, and often a waiting list for those who qualify, individuals who are homeless, involuntarily displaced from their homes, or spend more than 50% of their income on rent may be able to obtain help more quickly.
  • Housing Counseling Program – Sometimes a little education can go a long way. HUD provides education-based counseling for low income families and single mothers through the Housing Counseling Program. This program educates individuals who are renters, homeless, homeowners, and homebuyers. Its purpose is to provide knowledge about opportunities available through the federal government for assistance, grants, and access to affordable housing. Guidance and advice is given to homeowners, renters, and buyers to help them improve their housing conditions and prevent default, delinquency, and foreclosure. Assistance is also given to homebuyers to help them identify what interest rates are fair, how to avoid appraisals that have been inflated, and how to establish repayment terms they can afford.

As you can see, there are many housing grants available for single mothers. If you are interested in any of these grants, visit or your local housing authority for information on how to apply.

{ 5 comments… read them below or add one }

Ava September 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

i am a single mother raising a 2 yr old all alone. his father is on child support but does not pay or see his child. i have been unemployeed for 4 months now i am enrolled in all the programs at my local texas workforce i just havent recieved employment. i need help im 1600 behind on rent and all these sites are asking for a credit card to do credit check i dont have one…can someone help me im beggin i have never felt this alone in life the struggle is fearful..not knowin when are going to be homeless call at 9038121889

Amber September 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Hi Ava,

We will be launching a grant in October that provides housing assistance, stay tuned

Maria McNeil October 27, 2013 at 10:52 am

Good Morning, my name is Maria and I’m a single mother of 6 children and our dog nala, my mother came on vacation and her kidneys failed, so I’m her care taker and she lives with me also, I do her dialysis at home, after hurricane sandy things have been very rough for my family and I, and health wise it’s unsafe for my mother and my children due to the molds and asthma, the doctor’s recommened it will be better if we can move , but no one wants to rent a family of 8, and the one’s that do , I cannot afford their prices, any imfomation will be greatly appreciated, thanks for listening.

Kierria Jackson November 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm

how do i apply for a grant? im a 17 yr old teen mom of a two yr old. no help at all from her dad.

Leah December 21, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’ve researched for a year and found nothing in CA. It’s so frustrating that with all these programs/grants/charities/foundations- housing assistance, etc I don’t qualify for one reason or another. It’s almost as if theyre set up for failure, it’s almost impossible to adhere to their exact specifications! It’s really heartbreaking for me, as a disabled mom of three boys. I have a rare disease with life threatening complications and need to live near family, friends and major medical (next to SF, happens to be one of the most expensive areas in the US) as my condition is progressive and when/if I become incapacitated, I need to be close.
In order to be secure, we need to own homes, not be subjected to landlords. In my area, the rental prices are significantly higher than mortgage payments. Solution?
Assess the familys monthly income and determine the mortgage payment amount they can afford. Find a suitable home. Adjust the grant amount so its
close to the determined monthly amount. Ex: A $500k home is found. The monthly amount determined is approx $2000. The grant needs to be around $145,000, so the final mortgage monthly amount, including annual property taxes, ins, etc. ends up around $2000.
The grant amount may seem like a large amount, but think of all the large sums that aren’t used, because people arent aware or don’t qualify, and all the small amounts that go towards things that aren’t very beneficial or aren’t used.

If we received the bulk of financial assistance towards the very thing that we are working towards anyway, shelter, a home of our own, it would provide the very security, safety and stability that mothers with children need most. Just think of the huge difference this will make in the childrens lives; statistics have
shown children raised in a home of their own, do remarkably better emotionally, academically, socially then professionally. Mothers feel such a sense of relief, no longer under such stress and pressure trying to figure out “how” they were going to make ends meet, much less save.
If a house can provide SO much to mothers and children – there really needs to be an outpouring of voices, letters written, mothers uniting and making sure they’re heard. I’ve been busy writing to my local representatives to see how to get the ball rolling. I’d suggest you do the same.
Thanks for reading …..stepping off my soap box now…

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: