Are you a single mother? Have you been considering returning to college to pursue a degree?
This is by far one of the best decisions you could make for your life.
According to psychological statistics on the subject of regret; the number one lifetime regret involves the failure to earn a college degree.
But, before rushing out and enrolling, let’s take a moment to discuss the various degrees you may want to pursue and the overall benefits of returning to school.
With a proper plan of action and real, attainable goals in place, you are more likely to reach them.
The Importance of a College Degree
Every bit of time and effort you place into your education is a worthwhile investment in your future.
Continued education can open up a new world of practical, financial, and personal benefits that can help you build the life you want for your family and yourself.
Here are just a few of the many benefits that make earning your college degree important:
- Higher Pay - It is a well-known fact that an education means higher earning potential, and, as a single mother, a higher income is an essential factor in taking care of your family. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, located at www.bls.gov, in 2007, women over the age of 25 who had graduated from college earned 82% more income than those who only had their high school diploma.
- Job Opportunities – With higher education comes more opportunities for employment. A college degree can open up many doors for you that a high school diploma or GED just can’t.
- Balance - With everything you have going on in your life, it can sometimes be hard to find the right balance between work, life, and your education. As a single mother, you spend your days taking care of your family, taking care of the many everyday tasks that keep your family’s home safe, clean, and comfortable, and creating an environment where your children can achieve their goals, play, and excel. This often means you sacrifice your own dreams and goals. By earning a college degree, you can restore the balance between being a fantastic single mother and provider and accomplishing your dreams.
Best Degrees for Single Mothers
When it’s time to decide on a college major, what will you choose? As a single mother, you have many options. Here are some of the top degrees women choose, according to 2010 study by www.forbes.com, along with a few of the many employment opportunities each degree offers.
- Business – Business is a popular choice for single mothers, because it involves organizing, working with a team, and leadership, all qualities moms use on a daily basis. Specific business majors, like accounting, management, and finance can lead to a variety of work settings, including:
- Entry-level manager
- Market researcher
- Systems analyst
- Financial analyst
- Assistant product manager
- Public relations representative
- Health Science - If you enjoy caring for individuals and educating them about the aspects of their health care, a health science degree may be the best choice for you. This major will provide you with a general introduction to the health profession and direct training for specific areas in the health care field. Some of the employment opportunities this degree will offer are:
- Medical Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Education – A degree in education is a wonderful way to develop the skills that will allow you to impact the intellectual, personal, and social development of those around you. This type of degree provides you with the opportunity to shape the minds of other individuals.
With this degree, you can go on to work as:
- Day Care Administrator
- Curriculum Specialist
- Social Sciences – Do you love studying history, art, and humanities? Then a social science degree may be for you. This type of degree covers many academic disciplines that study the way humans interact with the world around them.
With this type of degree, you can become:
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Psychology – The field of psychology involves the study of behavior, the biology of the brain, cognition, perception, relationships, and emotions. With this degree, you will be able to help other deal with their underlying issues so they are able to live a more fulfilling life through these employment opportunities:
- Social Worker
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Career Counselor
- Visual and Performing Arts – Do you love to paint, dance, or act? A degree in visual and performing arts can offer you the education you need for a job you will love for a lifetime. This degree will teach you the history, theory, and technique of dance, sculpting, acting, musical performance, painting, drawing, and much more.
With this type of degree, you can go on to work as a:
- Interior Designer
- Graphic Artist
- Digital Photographer
- Fashion Designer
- Web Development
- Communication – As a single mother, this type of degree may be a walk in the park for you. You already plan a budget for your family, speak at PTA meetings, run a household, and accept the responsibility of a family. These skills play an important role in a communications degree, which can lead to employment as:
- Speech Writer
- Broadcast Technician
- Video Engineer
- Biological Sciences – Single mothers with biological science degrees share a passion for understanding the world. There are many different specific majors within this degree, such as Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology, Human Biology, and Integrative Physiology and Neurobiology.
With this degree, you can work as a:
- Biology Teacher
- Research Assistant
- Laboratory Technician
- Technical Writer
- Pharmaceutical Salesperson
- English Language and Literature – An English Language and Literature degree can offer single mothers a wide variety of skills, such as how to argue correctly, how to summarize, how to write, how to speak well, how to write reports, and how to present information in such as way that it can be easily understood by others. While many find it hard to find a job with an English degree, there are several available to those who use these skills to their advantage:
- Social worker
- Liberal Arts and Sciences – Liberal Arts and Sciences is a very broad field that involves the study of the inquiries, pursuits, and concepts. This type of degree is popular among single mothers because it can lead to many different careers, especially when it is combined with other degrees.
Here are some of the various types of employment associated with this degree:
- Entry-level Management
- Sales Associate
- Social Worker
If you are single mother who is struggling with the decision of which college degree to choose, or you are trying to decide whether a college degree is important to you, consider this information carefully. The right degree could change your life and the life of your family.