The right education is extremely important and can open doors that can literally change the course of your life as a single parent.
Along with the right education is attending the right college. For many moms, balancing work, caring for children, attending weekly functions, and taking care of daily household chores often leaves little time for education at a traditional institution.
Good news! In this age of online technology, there are ever increasing ways to earn a degree or certification from the comfort of your home. Online schools and certification programs can provide single moms with the ideal balance for their busy lives.
Best Online Colleges For Single Mothers
Where do you begin? When it comes to choosing the best online colleges for single mothers, there are several options out there.
Some of the most popular online schools include:
- University of Phoenix – is an excellent choice for those seeking an online education. It offers adult-centered courses, flexible schedules, and ongoing support from a team of counselors. This online college also offers their students courses they can use immediately to improve their current level of employment.
- Kaplan University – This online university is a great solution for single moms who need to earn their education on a flexible schedule. Many degree and certificate programs are available in areas such as health care, technology, finance, and business.
- Penn Foster College – For mothers who want the convenience of learning both online and through traditional textbooks, Penn Foster is a good choice. With these options, it is easy to study anytime and anywhere.
- Capella University - This online college is an ideal option for single mothers. Each degree program is organized into courserooms, which use online software like the Blackboard Learning System. Capella also offers credits for real life experience through their Prior Learning Assessment Program.
Best Certificate Programs For Single Mothers
Single mothers need to make the most of the time they have, and sometimes this means earning their education as quickly as possible. Certificate programs can be the perfect way to jumpstart a new career, gain that much needed promotion, or earn more money in your current field.
Here are a few of the top certificate programs available to single mothers:
- Physical Therapy Aide - Careers in health care are currently flourishing, and the demand for physical therapy aides is expected to increase between now and 2016. According to PayScale.com, those who have earned their physical therapy aide certification can expect to make between $17,000 and $30,000 a year. When you undergo a certificate program for physical therapy aides, you will learn everything you need to know to perform your daily duties, such as the disorders you will help treat, everyday jargon, and the systems of the body.
- Early Childhood Education – Love working with children? A certificate in early childhood education may be a great option for you. With this certificate, you can expect to earn between $7.60 and $12.22 an hour, according to PayScale.com, depending on your specific job position. With this certificate, you can expect to learn how to create a healthy and safe learning environment for children, develop relationships with children, solve problems, and encourage social, emotional, and education experiences.
- Paralegal – According to PayScale.com, single mothers who earn their paralegal certification may earn between $25, 942 and $79, 898 a year, depending on their specific job position. During the course of this certification, you will learn how to communicate with clients, legal research, ethics, and professional responsibilities.
- Medical Office Assistant – During your medical office assistant certificate course, you will learn many important factors that will assist you in your career, such as medical terminology, anatomy, transcription, keyboarding, and insurance processing. As a medical office assistant, you can expect to earn between $9.14 and $16.78. With certification, you can earn even more.
What to Have in Hand When Applying to Online Colleges
If you have chosen your career path and online college, you are probably eager to begin your online college courses. Before you can get started, though, you will need to first apply to the college.
Each college is different, but there are several common items you will need at the time of application:
- Transcripts for both high school and any other previous college education
- Test scores for both the ACT and SAT if you have taken them
- You annual income for the current year if you will also be applying for financial aid through the school
- Your FAFSA information if you are applying for a grant
- Your Social Security number so the school can verify all of your information is correct
- Verification of your citizenship status, and your visa if applicable
- Your credit card or payment information
As a single mother, earning your education should not be difficult. With the right online college or certification program, you can easily balance learning new skills with the rest of your busy schedule.