We can all sit and list all of the reasons why being a single mom isn’t what we would prefer, but that’s not the way to go about life. Instead, we need to take comfort in all the positives of life.
As a single mom, there are many reasons why it’s better than having to deal with being married, especially to someone we can’t stand. Let’s list some of the reasons in this top 10 reasons why being a single mom rocks.
The Top Ten List of Positive Aspects of Being a Single Mom
- If I don’t feel like putting the dishes away after dinner, I don’t have to do it.
- If the children want cereal for dinner, no one has to know but us.
- I don’t have to worry about the children listening to me argue with their father, yet again.
- I can focus on being a good mother, rather than repairing a deteriorating marriage.
- I can decide to read my favorite book instead of mopping the floors.
- I get to decide how to run my household, which is in the best interest of my children.
- I don’t have to report to anyone why I spent $5 at the local coffee shop.
- I decorate my home in the way that I want it to look.
- I see my family as often as I want to without consulting with anyone.
- I watch whatever I want on TV, whenever I want.
Being Grateful for Your Life with Your Kids
Take a minute to think of all things you are grateful for as a single mother. If you’re divorced, you may miss the unity of parenthood. However, as you know from your experience, a united parent isn’t always the best parenting, especially when you are arguing more than laughing.
If you’ve never been married, that doesn’t mean you don’t have as many positives as someone who’s been through the grueling nightmare of living in a unhappy marriage. Think about all the things that you couldn’t do that you love to do for yourself if you did have someone by your side all the time.
Remember, when you live with someone else, or care for children together in the same house, disagreements abound. It’s typical because of your wanting to do things your way and not being able to do them when having to consider someone else and your dedication to him.
So list everything you love to do that you may not be able to do if you had a husband or even a live-in boyfriend. It may take you a few days as you see yourself going through each day, so let this exercise by one you do over time.
This exercise is one that will help you stay connected to your life in a good way. Everyone can always think of reasons why they should be unhappy with their life, but not enough people think of all the reasons why they should be happy.
Don’t think there are any reasons?
There are always reasons to be happy – you just have to train yourself to see them.